[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 11 most recent journal entries recorded in
|Friday, May 20th, 2016|
|Out of my studious hole
So after almost 2 years, I finally finished my last exam yesterday. Going back to do a Masters seemed a good idea at the time but (and i'm showing my accrued wisdom here) juggling a full time job and study is no fun at all.
Now, i'm not actually done yet. I still have to write up a project but no more lectures. No more assignments. No more exams!
So i'm off to Balticon next week. Unfortunately, there is a good chance I wouldn't make Worldcon because I have to present my final year project at the end of August but Balticon is ideally timed. I need a break from work/study. So see some of you there. :)
But today I have begun to be struck by a number of things.
1) I have read 4 books for pleasure since Sept 2014. Last one was over Christmas. I should be kicked out of some club!
2) I haven't been to the cinema since Star Wars. (Episode 7 that is).
3) I haven't posted on the board since...er...Christmas? Did I post then? Definitely after the last Worldcon. (Ok, let's ignore the one today). I haven't even been reading the board.
4) I wonder what is cool on TV these days...
But now i'm free again. To waste my time doing nothing!
|Friday, December 19th, 2014|
My once in a blue moon post. I've barely being online over the last 3 and a half months. No boards, FB and little LJ.
What happened was that I decided to do a Masters (in Data Analytics) and it has sucked up all my time. Its only part-time but that has meant I have been very busy trying to juggle my work with study and lectures. With exams out of the way for this semester, I can finally breath again. :)
So that is it. Nothing very dramatic otherwise.
|Saturday, March 29th, 2014|
There are good days and bad days and some days where the only entertainment comes from trying to decide when you've been more miserable.
|Monday, August 12th, 2013|
Another sign of how wacky this aSoIaF community has gotten. I got a PM last week from a guy that is doing a Masters in Dublin and he decided to focus his thesis on online communities and specifically westeros.org. Or at least he was. I could have put him completely off.
So he asked could we meet. I said sure. We met yesterday. It was only a hour. Amazing what I remembered about the history of the boards but then also amazing what I couldn't remember clearly. So we covered what would be expected, how it began, how things have changed, the TV show etc.
I don't post here very often (ok...almost never). But he did mention that he would contact a few other people (non-Irish) to get more info. I didn't offer him names, as he didn't ask me for them. But I thought I should mention him here in case some of you do get asked to participate. He is harmless. The questions are easy. But obviously you can choose to just ignore. I was mainly amused at the idea of somebody writing a thesis on the board. :)
|Tuesday, April 12th, 2011|
Another LJ entry. This is getting almost regular.
There is apparently some sort of virus in my hotmail/laptop, which spams everybody on my hotmail contact list. Apologies to anyone who got the spam.
I will see about fixing it but the simplest solution was just to delete my contact list. So I deleted my contact list.
Hopefully that means everybody else wouldn't be affected.
|Tuesday, March 29th, 2011|
2 things. When 3 of the BwB met last month in Dublin, one of the items that cropped up was meeting when the HBO series came out. Ideally, I was going to suggest a meeting on the first Friday after episode 1 but that is Good Friday. That's not really a go-out in Ireland night...
So i'm now suggesting 29th April for a first episode/whatever else strikes us discussion.
Aghrivaine is also visiting these shores in mid-May, so i'm going to see can we organise something around then also. I'm not saying both will happen but might as well aim for both until people say otherwise.
|Saturday, February 19th, 2011|
So 3 of the Dublin BwB met up in Dublin yesterday. We all agreed that I should have mentioned the meeting on LJ before hand.
|Friday, September 10th, 2010|
When I went to India before, I thought it would be a good time to do some LJ posting. That didn't happen. Instead, I thought I would return to the old reliable (you could almost say annual, given I have done it once before) Worldcon post.
But I have been here almost 2 weeks now and everyone else has recounted what they have been doing at Worldcon. I have had some very good days in Australia outside Worldcon though. So i'll focus on that instead.
1) Rented a car for 2 days to journey down the Great Ocean Road outside Melbourne. Fantastic scenary. Beaches, walks, 50km (or so) cruise high up the side of the actual ocean, waterfalls, lighthouses, guided tours, a treetop walk and finally the amazing 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Grotto and London Bridge (which actually fell down).
2) Took a flight up to Uluru (Ayers Rock). A seriously big rock. Weather wasn't great but it meant I did see rare(ish) waterfalls off the rock. Impressive. I wasn't allowed to climb because of the weather. I wasn't aware there was such a major controversy about climbing the rock though. So maybe it was just as well that I didn't have the choice.
3) The Olgas were as good. A huge number of big rocks. But the best experience for me was Kings Canyon (which is on the way to Alice Springs from Uluru). Marvellous walk into evocative places like the Lost City and the Garden of Eden. Lots of wildlife, waterfalls and fauna. (I was fascinated by a bird with a feather like horn but somebody told me it was a mere quail. Bah.)
4) Alice Springs is a little old town. A lot of Aborigines compared to everywhere else so far.
5) Adelaide is fine. Nice botanic gardens.
6) Taking a 2 day Kangaroo Island tour from tomorrow. I've been mainly renting cars, so this should hopefully be an alternatively good experience.
7) I had a rough idea of what I wanted to see when I left. I've kept pretty much to it, except for realising that I needed an extra day to do this Kangaroo tour. It all means that I wouldn't have much time to see Sydney. Oh well. I'm fine with that.
8) The way to Sydney should be good though. Wilpena Pound. Broken Hill. Muyawintji. Blue Mountains. All are supposed to be amazingly scenic. Its all a whistle top tour but I wouldn't be back for a long while...
|Wednesday, August 12th, 2009|
What a con!
And now i'm supposed to wander around Canada for a few days. Oops...
|Thursday, July 16th, 2009|
|Sunday, January 26th, 2003|
Well I’ve had this account for a while without ever getting very close to posting on it before. Considering the person who gave it to me, I have thought about posting though. Thought it would be safer to say I made an effort at least. :)
The name is Padraig and I am Irish. I came closest to posting at New Years actually. An ideal time I thought. I could even whinge about my failed attempts to find a new job. After looking around for months I hadn’t got very far.
But time was against me. And a week or so later I was been interviewed which led to, before I knew it, been offered an interesting opportunity in an airport. So there went my chance to complain. Always good for a laugh.
But of course I was delighted to find a job, so I have still something half interesting to say. Might actually use some of the Maths knowledge I learnt in college.
After a week in, I can’t say everything went perfectly. The people themselves seem very nice at least. But I have to travel miles to get there through brutal traffic. This might be hard to believe, but I am not at my most patient in a bus for over a hour. :) So I can look forward to searching for a new place to live. OTOH I have been thinking of leaving my current abode for a while so I’m not very unhappy. I just have to put up with been exhausted by all the travelling in the meantime.
Not sure what to make of my actual job so far. I am to work in the airports strategic department analysing data. If you like playing with numbers you might like it…for everyone else it could be nightmarish.
But it is the kind of thing I am good at. I have spent a week trying to grasp what they are doing. I am seriously worried about how much help I can be, but its impossible to say much after one week.
And that’s my initial thoughts.
Hmm…that wasn’t that difficult. :)