When I went to India before, I thought it would be a good time to do some LJ posting. That didn't happen. Instead, I thought I would return to the old reliable (you could almost say annual, given I have done it once before) Worldcon post.
But I have been here almost 2 weeks now and everyone else has recounted what they have been doing at Worldcon. I have had some very good days in Australia outside Worldcon though. So i'll focus on that instead.
1) Rented a car for 2 days to journey down the Great Ocean Road outside Melbourne. Fantastic scenary. Beaches, walks, 50km (or so) cruise high up the side of the actual ocean, waterfalls, lighthouses, guided tours, a treetop walk and finally the amazing 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Grotto and London Bridge (which actually fell down).
2) Took a flight up to Uluru (Ayers Rock). A seriously big rock. Weather wasn't great but it meant I did see rare(ish) waterfalls off the rock. Impressive. I wasn't allowed to climb because of the weather. I wasn't aware there was such a major controversy about climbing the rock though. So maybe it was just as well that I didn't have the choice.
3) The Olgas were as good. A huge number of big rocks. But the best experience for me was Kings Canyon (which is on the way to Alice Springs from Uluru). Marvellous walk into evocative places like the Lost City and the Garden of Eden. Lots of wildlife, waterfalls and fauna. (I was fascinated by a bird with a feather like horn but somebody told me it was a mere quail. Bah.)
4) Alice Springs is a little old town. A lot of Aborigines compared to everywhere else so far.
5) Adelaide is fine. Nice botanic gardens.
6) Taking a 2 day Kangaroo Island tour from tomorrow. I've been mainly renting cars, so this should hopefully be an alternatively good experience.
7) I had a rough idea of what I wanted to see when I left. I've kept pretty much to it, except for realising that I needed an extra day to do this Kangaroo tour. It all means that I wouldn't have much time to see Sydney. Oh well. I'm fine with that.
8) The way to Sydney should be good though. Wilpena Pound. Broken Hill. Muyawintji. Blue Mountains. All are supposed to be amazingly scenic. Its all a whistle top tour but I wouldn't be back for a long while...